Who we are
We're a varied bunch. We come to worship from the Crestwood community, Spruce Grove, Sherwood Park, Castle Downs, Millwoods, and lots of neighbourhoods in between. We range in age from infants to centenarians. Some of us grew up in the United Church and have never left, some of us have come from other Christian denominations and for still others, St. Andrew's is our first church experience. We value the wisdom of age, the exuberance of youth, and the creativity that exists within us all. We love to sing together, eat together, work together, and learn together. We believe that growing in faith and spirit is best done in community. We believe that is why we are St. Andrew's United Church.
In the Spirit of St. Andrew, who practised the Christian arts of hospitality and pilgrimage — walking in the way of Jesus of Nazareth — we celebrate the presence of God's mystery in our worship, learning, leadership and ministry to the local and global communities, as a congregation within the United Church of Canada.
St. Andrew's is an Abundant Community
Last year we read and reflected on the book, The Abundant Community for our Lenten Study. An abundant community has the following properties:
Focuses on the gifts of its members
Nurtures associational life
Offers hospitality to strangers
Experience of abundance at St. Andrew's
A Long Range Planning Task Group is preparing for the future of St. Andrew’s Church. Conversations have taken place between members of the congregation and possible partners who might be interested in joining with us to create a community hub.
Through best use of church resources, we will continue to be a worshipping community in Crestwood that reaches out to our West End neighbours. For more information:
The United Church of Canada has a long tradition of championing the earth. At St. Andrew's, we are determined to make a difference by:
Reducing the carbon footprint of our aging building through efficient heating, low-flush toilets and energy-conserving doors and windows
Offering tours and workshops to other churches and non-profit groups interested in becoming more environmentally conscientious
Serving only Fair Trade coffee at our social events
Car-pooling on Sundays
We recognize that this is just the beginning and that we must strive to shift our consciousness away from the consumer culture toward a more enlightened and responsible stewardship of God's Earth.
In the community
Sharing the building
In the wider neighbourhood
National and global
History of St. Andrew's
In the spring of 1929 two visionary women drove a buggy through muddy roads and bush soliciting interest in beginning a Sunday School in the local Jasper Place School. From the nucleus of Sunday School attendees grew a desire for a real church building.
In 1945, four lots were purchased on 149 Street. As building materials and funds were very short after the war, initial construction was limited to a church basement covered by a temporary roof. Through dedicated giving and ingenuity, services were held in the completed Jasper Place Church sanctuary in 1951. The church was named St. Andrew’s in 1958. To alleviate crowded conditions for the Sunday School, a Christian Education Building was constructed at the present site and dedicated in 1959. The first church was sold in 1962 and services moved to the basement of the Christian Education Building.
This new church officially opened in 1963. The worship space was designed for a large, dynamic congregation. A cross, made in an industrial aircraft plant, became the visual focus of worship and light streamed through colored windows. The furniture was hand-crafted and a sculptor shaped brass symbols of wheat, bread, grapes and chalice.
Through the 1970s, St. Andrew’s grew its mission and outreach through the West End Daycare and Little Friends Nursery School which provide quality child care in a nurturing environment. Guided by their vision of building community, St. Andrew’s congregation was strengthened when members of St. James United Church were welcomed into fellowship in 1992.
In 2013 a service of celebration marked the 50th Anniversary of the laying of the cornerstone, continuing worship services, and gathering together in supportive friendship and trusting faith.